All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Słownik polsko-angielski

BETA Online Dictionary Polish-English: Enter keyword here!
 ąĄćĆ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Polnisch
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic Help Needed   Chat and Other Topics   Dictionary and Contribute!  

Polish-English Translation Forum

This is the place to post your translation requests in English or Polish and to help others with your skills and knowledge. Important: Always give the context of your enquiry!
Search | Guidelines | New Question
Term:
Telephones  
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-25, 01:08  Spam?  
I think that you need to imagine yourself back in those times. The Polish system was in its infancy. There were no telephones in Russian-administered Poland until 1900. About 1915, the system was shut down and not re-opened until 1920 or later, after Poland had repulsed the Bolshevik invaders.
It started locally in Warsaw (and possibly other centres), but it was not possible to make calls to other cities for a number of years. Hence the advertising for "intercity" calls. Perhaps "intercity calls" is clearer than "intercity telephones", because you can, of course, use them for local calls.
http://www.ericssonhistory.com/places/europe/Poland/
Have a look through the photos on this site, as well as the information. The tallest building is the telephone exchange. (It appears in quite a few photos of the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 - on fire. It was rebuilt and is now a military museum.) This information is not really necessary for your translations, but it will help you understand the background situation.
My parents (in Australia) did not have a telephone until about 1940. My husband and I did not get a telephone until 1970, when I had a job that required me to be "on call" at short notice. He had simply never lived in a house where there was a telephone, and he saw no need for one.
 « go back

back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Polish-English online dictionary (Słownik polsko-angielski) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads