All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Słownik polsko-angielski

BETA Online Dictionary Polish-English: Enter keyword here!
 ąĄćĆ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Polnisch
 Pronouns »
« Words that have two word classes in one languag...    

Polish-English Translation of
Progress Report

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Progress Report  
by Catesse (AU), 2009-11-25, 07:58  Spam?  
I have been promising for a week or two – ever since we reached the 3 000 verified votes mark - to put a “state of the nation” letter on the EN-PL forum, but I was working too hard to concentrate on it.
First, I should like to say that I had no authority to tell people what to do with their entries and votes. However, I could see that there was going to be dreadful trouble ahead if the number of entries was allowed to increase at too fast a rate before the contributors had managed to build up enough voting power to verify votes almost as quickly as they were made. Since I had no authority, I should like to thank our small group of contributors for their splendid voluntary cooperation, which has had the result that the EN-PL site is the only one where the English site is on a higher percentage rating that the corresponding German one. Among the English-language pairs, the only sites to have reached 75% are Italian 98%, Dutch 86%, Polish 80% and French 76%. (And French is heading downwards and will fall below the cut-off mark if somebody does not take control.) So: to our little band of workers: Well done indeed!
That which I foresaw has happened to a number of sites. The Italian sites are splendidly organised and their statistics reflect this, but on some other sites nobody was bossy enough to take over a bit of organisational control. The first weeks or months, when nobody had a Voting Power higher than VP2, are particularly difficult, and it was then that restraint and organisation was most needed. The EN-RU and EN-PR sites are in a terrible trouble with only 2% of entries verified, and as more entries keep being made fairly quickly it is becoming even more difficult to raise this percentage. Since it is necessary to have 75% of entries verified before a site has an independent existence, these sites are doomed to be second class unless people work with more insight and self-discipline, or administration steps in. Diligence is not enough. (The recent addition of one VP2 to the Russian site looks as though it might make a break-through, but clearing up the mountain of unverified entries is going to be a mammoth job.)
So, for the future: go to it! But remember that, to keep the site healthy, the ratio of votes to entries must not drop below 2:1. Keep an eye on our percentage. Either work this out for yourselves from the total number of entries and the verified number, or else go to the Home Page, and about where it is shown that the 75% is needed, there is a word underlined. (In the English version, it is here.) Click on this to see percentages.
I have written out two tables showing the percentages of some of the more important or interesting sites, and the number entries and verifications for these same languages. I do not want to post them on Forum. I will send them to anyone who asks for them, but all the information is on the site and you can work it out without my help. (Of course, the nature of dict.cc is that it is a living entity, and these statistics would have been slightly outdated even before I put in the last full stop.)
It’s been a bumpy ride at times, with moments of hope, of frustration, of exasperation, but by and large we have looked after each other; we have avoided the quarrels and personal ambitions that sometimes plague the massive EN-GR site, and we have nurtured the own little site. May it continue to flourish! Even if only slowly.
I received my first Christmas card today. So early Christmas wishes to one and all.
Chat:    
Thanks, Catesse!  #478997
by Paul (AT), Last modified: 2009-11-27, 15:47  Spam?  

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Polish-English online dictionary (Słownik polsko-angielski) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads