All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Słownik polsko-angielski

BETA Online Dictionary Polish-English: Enter keyword here!
 ąĄćĆ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Polnisch
 Gridlock »
« Propaganda used on postcards between 1918 and 1...    

Polish-English Translation of
Propaganda used on

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Propaganda used on postcards between 1918 and 1939  
by Wordbucket, 2016-10-02, 08:16  Spam?  86.94.158....
I am trying to translate Polish texts printed on postcards between 1918 and 1939. Most of these are government propaganda slogans:

Kto chce zwalczać drożyznę i powstrzymać spadek waluty niechaj podpisuje pożyczkę państwową.

This is my attempt (I am Dutch, but translations must be in English):

Who wants to fight high prices and halt the decline in currency signs a state loan.

Should I really start with "Who" or would something like "The one who wants" or "If you want" be a better start?
Answer:
No guarantee  #855283
by Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2016-10-03, 03:49  Spam?  
Background: in 1920, Poland had recently been freed from more than a century of foreign occupation and oppression, then a world war, then an invasion by Bolshevik forces. She was virtually bankrupt.
I think that the slogan refers to the necessity to take out foreign loans, and possibly public endorsement of this was needed.
So something like: If you want to fight high prices and depreciation of currency, sign in favour of a national loan.
No guarantee. You need a Polish economist or historian rather than simply a linguist. (And, in my case, a not very good one, but you could wait a long time for anybody else to reply.)
PS: After seeing your second post, and without checking for the official translation: what I have translated as "sign in favour of" might be "sign up for". In other words, "subscribe to a / the national loan". (I could not see why the government needed the people's permission to raise a loan, but my knowledge of the Polish political, legal and economic systems in the 1920s is very limited.)

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Polish-English online dictionary (Słownik polsko-angielski) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads