All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Słownik polsko-angielski

BETA Online Dictionary Polish-English: Enter keyword here!
 ąĄćĆ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Polnisch
 Propaganda used on postcards between 1918 and 1... »
« Hugo Kołłątaj    

Polish-English Translation of
Polish prepaid postcard

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Polish prepaid postcard from 1920  
by Wordbucket, 2016-10-12, 13:40  Spam?  86.94.158....
I have a Polish prepaid postcard from 1920 with text written by Polish 17th century nobleman Waław Potocki:

Podkopują złodzieje, zbójcyż, na przemiany
Do komór domu twego rozbierają ściany
Porwij się Biały Orle! rad o sobie Lachu (WACŁAW POTOCKI)
Wstępujcie do Armji Ochotniczej!

This is what I've tried, but I'm sure my translation is far from perfect:

They undermine thieves, robbers, on the change
They take down the walls of your house
Take them down White Eagle! the advice about himself is to laugh" (WACŁAW POTOCKI)
Into the army volunteer!
Answer:
Postcards  #856014
by Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2016-10-13, 12:34  Spam?  
First: it would be nice to know whether my  previous attempts were of any use to you. My Polish is not very good, and it took a lot of effort to do something with them. This piece is in old spelling and with quite flexible grammar, so it is quite difficult. For me anyway.
First line: the only place where the word "zbójcyż" occurs is on these old postcards. I am taking a punt on it being the modern "zabójca" (plural "zabójcy") = killer, which makes sense.
So: Thieves and killers undermine (inversion of verb and subject) in turn / both / alternately (modern form: na przemian).
I am going to send this now before completing the sentence, as I am having computer trouble and stuff is being wiped without notice. I don't want to lose what I have done so far.
Answer:
Postcards 2  #856017
by Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2016-10-13, 06:51  Spam?  
They tear down (rozbierać) the walls of the rooms (komora, pl. gen. komór = chambers) of your home.
Orle: vocative case of "orzeł" = eagle. Writer is speaking directly to the Polish people, symbolised by the White Eagle.
"Porwić się": rare. There are examples of it in usage on internet, but nowhere is there a good translation. One usage of "porwić" is in photoshopping, to edit photos to correct mistakes. Obviously inappropriate here. It is some sort of instruction to take action to remedy a situation. (It is not the same as "porwać".)
Rad o sobie Lachu. Ouch. First, I don't think that "Lachu" has anything to do with laughing, not in Polish. I think that is a name, in this case, some sort of vocative familiar form of Lech, again a symbol of Poland. The legendary Lech, founder-prototype of the Polish nation. One of three brothers, Lech, Czech and Rus.
Wikipedia(EN): Lech,_Czech,_and_Rus
So, a guess that I cannot justify grammatically: advice to yourself, Poland.
Answer:
Postcards 3  #856018
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-13, 06:50  Spam?  
Wstępujcie do Armji Ochotniczej!
wstępować = to join (an organisation, especially the army).
Wstępujcie: imperative, an order, to "you" plural familiar.
Wstępujcie do Armji Ochotniczej! Join the volunteer army. (militia)
Wikipedia(EN): Wac%C5%82aw_Potocki
This call was probably made during the Swedish invasion in the mid 17th century. ("The Deluge")
It was being repeated in 1919-20 when the Bolsheviks invaded the newly independent Poland.
Answer:
Thanks  #856284
by Wordbucket, 2016-10-17, 10:03  Spam?  86.94.158....
Excellent! Thank you very much. You are a great helper. I realise that old Polish spelling can be very difficult and the internet is not always a good help. I still have a lot of propaganda slogans to translate. All of these translations will be included on a website for Polish stamps (Stamp Encylopaedia Poland). I will of course refer to your nickname there if you wish.

So,for this one, this is what I have so far:

Podkopują złodzieje, zbójcyż, na przemiany; = Both thieves and killers undermine;
Do komór domu twego rozbierają ściany; = They tear down the walls of the rooms of your home
Porwij się Biały Orle! = Take action White Eagle!
Rad o sobie Lachu" (WACŁAW POTOCKI). = Advice to yourself Poland" (WACŁAW POTOCKI)
Wstępujcie do Armji Ochotniczej! = Join the volunteer army!

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Polish-English online dictionary (Słownik polsko-angielski) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads