All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Słownik polsko-angielski

BETA Online Dictionary Polish-English: Enter keyword here!
 ąĄćĆ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Polnisch
 Polish prepaid postcard from 1920 »
« Piotr Skarga    

Polish-English Translation of
Hugo Kołłątaj

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Hugo Kołłątaj  
by Wordbucket, 2016-10-17, 10:07  Spam?  86.94.158....
Another inter-war postcard text. This one doesn't seem to be very difficult:

Polacy! Ośmielcie się raz być narodem, a narodem prawdziwie wolnym!
Poles! Dare once to be a nation, a nation truly free!

Do broni!" (HUGO KOLŁĄTAJ).
To arms!" (HUGO KOLŁĄTAJ).

Wstępujcie do Armji Ochotniczej!
Join the volunteer army!
Answer:
Translation  #856303
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-17, 14:14  Spam?  
These translations seem to be fine, except that I have some reservations about "raz", in this context, being translated as "once". I cannot find a better translation, but "raz" has some idiosyncratic meanings. I have in mind something like "for once" or "this time". You might try to check this with somebody more competent.
My Polish is not very good, and I feel quite nervous at the idea of having my translations used publicly.
Nevertheless, I am interested in your postcards. I am trying to read some Polish books in connection with reconstructing my late husband's military record and experiences. Very difficult for me. The postcards are giving me a new insight into an aspect of the atmosphere in Poland between the wars.
Answer:
Raz  #856417
by Wordbucket, 2016-10-18, 20:01  Spam?  86.94.158....
Thanks. I agree with "for once" and I'll use that. Your Polish is very good. At least it should't be underestimated.
Have you read "God's Playground, a history of Poland", a book in 2 volumes by Norman Davies?
Chat:    
Davies  #856435
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-19, 03:39  Spam?  
About all I can say about my knowledge of Polish is that it is improving, but I am not just being modest when I say that it is rather poor. Sometimes I may know every word in a sentence, and still not understand what it really means. Sometimes I know exactly what it means, but cannot see how the words used can possibly mean that. And sometimes I have no clue either way. I work hard and I am a fairly good theoretical linguist. I am very good at German, used to be good at French but am out of practice. I can read Dutch and Italian fairly easily, and simple texts in Spanish and Swedish. Polish, however, is in a different dimension.
I do not have the Davies book. I might see if I can order it online. I have, however, read quite a few books on Polish history, including Timothy Snyder's terribly bleak "Bloodlands".
Answer:
Hugo Kołłątaj   #856439
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-19, 04:13  Spam?  
Finding out about Skarga inspired me to look up Hugo Kołłątaj . 1750-1812. Another priest, of a later date.
Wikipedia(EN): Hugo_Ko%C5%82%C5%82%C4%85taj
The article says that he studied in Pinczow. (My husband was born there.) Interesting town. The first translation of the Bible into Polish was done there, so I believe, although it was a predominantly Jewish town. (65-70%)

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Polish-English online dictionary (Słownik polsko-angielski) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads