All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Słownik polsko-angielski

BETA Online Dictionary Polish-English: Enter keyword here!
 ąĄćĆ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Polnisch
 Hugo Kołłątaj »
« Opiekuj się dzieckiem / Zapisz się na członka L...    

Polish-English Translation of
Piotr Skarga

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Piotr Skarga  
by Wordbucket, 2016-10-17, 10:15  Spam?  86.94.158....
Again, text from an inter-war pre-stamped postcard from Poland. This one is really too difficult for me:

"Są drudzy, co mówią: - Co mnie po Rzeczpospolitej, kiedy ja się mam źle, a tego nie mam, czego pragnę?
There are others, so they say: - What, me for the Republic, what if I am wrong, and I do not have what I want?

To złodziejskie serce, które ze szkodą drugich chce być bogate." (PIOTR SKARGA).
That is stealing the heart, to the detriment of the other who wants to be rich." (PIOTR SKARGA).

Wstępujcie do Armji Ochotniczej!
Join the volunteer army!

I realise that my translation needs improvement...
Answer:
Later  #856308
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-17, 14:25  Spam?  
It is rather late at night here, and there are problems here that will take me time to check.
However, for a start: "Są drudzy, co mówią:" There are others who say:
I don't know why "co" is used instead of "kto", but that is what it is.
Answer:
Grammar  #856348
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-18, 03:04  Spam?  
I checked a few grammar books last night. "Co" is used quite regularly in adjectival clauses.
However, I made no progress with "Co mnie po ...".
Answer:
Attempt  #856349
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-18, 03:20  Spam?  
"To złodziejskie serce, które ze szkodą drugich chce być bogate."
It is a thieving heart that wants to become rich by harming others.
Not terribly happy with this. I think it is "correct", but it does not sound right.
Answer:
Guess  #856350
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-18, 03:35  Spam?  
"Są drudzy, co mówią: - Co mnie po Rzeczpospolitej, kiedy ja się mam źle, a tego nie mam, czego pragnę?"
Best guess: "What is the Republic to me, when I feel bad (or "ill"), and I do not have what I want?
If you want to keep the pun on "mam", you would need to go for something like "when I have problems but I do not have what I want?".
It is seldom that puns can be translated satisfactorily.
Answer:
by Wordbucket, 2016-10-18, 20:06  Spam?  86.94.158....
There are others who say: What is the Republic to me when I have problems but I do not have what I want?
It is a thieving heart that wants to become rich by harming others.

I do not understand what Mr Skarga is trying to say here. Does it suggest that many Poles were passive during the partitions and couldn't care less about a new republic?
Answer:
Not really  #856437
by Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2016-10-19, 05:24  Spam?  
Not exactly. The postcard is 1920, probably while Poland was still fighting to drive out the Bolshevik invaders. It sought to remind Poles that the price of their freedom has always been blood.
However, Piotr Skarga was a Jesuit who lived 1536-1612. He lived in quite different circumstances. Serfdom was still a way of life. It mattered little to a serf who his master was; he was still a slave. I think that Skarga was attacking the nobility, who lived in luxury at the expense of the misery of their serfs, but in 1920 his words were given a quite different interpretation. (Because of the power of the nobility, he was perhaps deliberately a little ambiguous.)
Wikipedia(EN): Piotr_Skarga
This article mentions that Skarga was beatified a few years ago, preparatory to being declared a saint.

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Polish-English online dictionary (Słownik polsko-angielski) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads