All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Słownik polsko-angielski

BETA Online Dictionary Polish-English: Enter keyword here!
 ąĄćĆ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Polnisch
 Opiekuj się dzieckiem / Zapisz się na członka L... »
« Some more propaganda slogans on Polish postcard...    

Polish-English Translation of
Telephone

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Telephone  
by Wordbucket, 2016-10-19, 16:39  Spam?  86.94.158....
Four additional slogans printed on Polish pre-stamped postcards in the 1930s, promoting the use of telephones, and my first attempt to translate them:

Telefon zaoszczędza czas i pieniądze!
A telephone saves time and money!

Telefon usprawnia życie, zbliża i przyśpiesza!
A telephone improves your life, it connects and accelerates!

Telefon międzymiastowy usuwa odległość!
A telephone between cities removes the distance!

Telefon międzymiastowy,-to najszybszy posłaniec!
A telephone between cities, that is the fastest messenger!
Answer:
Telephone  #856563
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-20, 05:28  Spam?  
Telefon zaoszczędza czas i pieniądze! = A telephone saves time and money!  OK
Telefon usprawnia życie, zbliża i przyśpiesza! : Your translation sounds a bit odd, but anything that I try sounds just as bad. Problem is that in English "connects" and "accelerates" would need an object. Accelerates what?
The other two: in English, these sound illogical, although that is literally what they say.
How about "An intercity telephone call removes / eliminates distance." (In any case, not "the distance".)
"An intercity telephone is the fastest messenger."
Answer:
Thank you  #856915
by Wordbucket, 2016-10-24, 19:22  Spam?  86.94.158....
Thank you. I'll try to find a more suitable alternative for "accelerates" or at least provide an object.

What is an intercity telephone? Was it only possible to call someone from city to city?
Answer:
Telephones  #856932
by Catesse (AU), 2016-10-25, 01:08  Spam?  
I think that you need to imagine yourself back in those times. The Polish system was in its infancy. There were no telephones in Russian-administered Poland until 1900. About 1915, the system was shut down and not re-opened until 1920 or later, after Poland had repulsed the Bolshevik invaders.
It started locally in Warsaw (and possibly other centres), but it was not possible to make calls to other cities for a number of years. Hence the advertising for "intercity" calls. Perhaps "intercity calls" is clearer than "intercity telephones", because you can, of course, use them for local calls.
http://www.ericssonhistory.com/places/europe/Poland/
Have a look through the photos on this site, as well as the information. The tallest building is the telephone exchange. (It appears in quite a few photos of the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 - on fire. It was rebuilt and is now a military museum.) This information is not really necessary for your translations, but it will help you understand the background situation.
My parents (in Australia) did not have a telephone until about 1940. My husband and I did not get a telephone until 1970, when I had a job that required me to be "on call" at short notice. He had simply never lived in a house where there was a telephone, and he saw no need for one.

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Polish-English online dictionary (Słownik polsko-angielski) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads