All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Słownik polsko-angielski

BETA Online Dictionary Polish-English: Enter keyword here!
 ąĄćĆ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Polnisch
 Thsnks for your help! »
« Girlfriend    

Polish-English Translation of
Lastname Łodziana

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Lastname "Łodziana"  
by Odziana, 2017-04-30, 23:36  Spam?  174.195.132....
Can anyone help me anglicize the lastname "Łodziana"?
Answer:
Names  #869714
by Catesse (AU), 2017-05-01, 06:04  Spam?  
Generally, you leave people's names as close to the original as possible. That would mean simply a change to "Lodziana". (Or possibly "Lodzian".)
Why would you want to do more than that?
Chat:    
by Odziana, 2017-05-01, 19:15  Spam?  71.4.24...
Catesse - Most Poles with names like mine went with a respelling, such as "Wojiana" or "Wojana".  However, my ancestors lobbed off the Ł and re-pronounced the name "Odziana" as Ode-zee-ana.  That wouldn't have been my choice.  I am now a third generation American.  I speak only English and identify only as an American.  In addition to my identity, it doesn't help socially to have a difficult-to-pronounce, foreign language last name.  For these reasons, I'm trying to translate "Łodziana" so that I can keep my heritage intact within its meaning, while still adopting an English surname.
Chat:    
Łódź  #869756
by Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2017-05-02, 04:45  Spam?  
You are telling ME about the problems of having an unpronounceable name? Our response was: Get used to it. Live with it. And becoming resigned to spelling it out every time it had to be written down. With two exceptions. My husband reverted to his easier partisan pseudonym as a first name, and I chose an alias for my books. My publisher said: If potential buyers can't pronounce your name, or remember your name, they can't ask for your books. So I gave in on that.
But back to your problem. If you are choosing a name that you and your descendants will have to live with for generations, you have to give it careful thought. I take it that "Łodziana" means an inhabitant of Łódź.
See: Wikipedia(EN): %C5%81%C3%B3d%C5%BA
By the way: the Polish pronunciation of "Odziana" would be something like "Oh-JYA-na".
The nearest English name, as regards pronunciation, is probably Woods. Or Woodsman. If you want to keep closer to the spelling: Lodger. (But I am not sure whether that exists as a surname.)
I am not advising you on this - just airing some ideas. This decision is highly personal.
Chat:    
by Odziana, 2017-05-02, 05:03  Spam?  174.195.141...
Catesse - Thank you for your responses.  I'm concerned with preserving the meaning rather than the pronunciation.  Based on the meaning of "Łódź", I believe the nearest English surname could be "Boatman".  However, is there a difference between "Łodz" and "Łódź"?
Chat:    
Boatman  #869758
by Catesse (AU), 2017-05-02, 05:48  Spam?  
You probably need somebody with a deeper knowledge of Polish than I have, but a few thoughts.
I have had a good look through Polish dictionaries as well as bilingual dictionaries, and although "łódż" can mean a boat, there is nothing that I can find to indicate that Łodzian(a) means anything other than an inhabitant of Łódź. No dictionary that I can find translates "boatsman" as anything like "łodzian".
"Łodz" and "Łódź": I don't think that  "Łodz" exists in "proper" Polish. "Łódź" is monosyllabic, with "ó" as the only vowel, a "closed" vowel. When you add another syllable, it changes to "Ło-dzian". The "o" is now an "open" vowel. The fact that the "dz" is a "soft" consonant pair is now shown by the following "i" instead of the accent above the "ź". (Elementary Polish orthography.)
If you want to be sure whether Łodzian can possibly mean "boatman", you need a real expert on Polish, not somebody who just claims to be (which I do not). (Professions derived in this way often/mostly end in "-iarz", not "-ian".)
I would be interested in knowing if you find out anything more definite about this.
Answer:
by Odziana, 2017-05-02, 05:54  Spam?  174.195.141...
Catesse - I think you settled it for me in that "Łodz" and "Łódź" are identical and that Łódźian means an inhabitant of Łódź.  I've learned that inhabitants of Łódź call themselves "the boat people".  With that, Boatperson doesn't make any sense as a surname - Boatman is damn near perfect :)  As thanks, I'll tell my descendants that you named us!
Chat:    
Great  #869760
by Catesse (AU), 2017-05-02, 06:20  Spam?  
But it is Łódź and Łodzian, not Łódźian.
That is like wolf-wolves, not wolf-wolfs.
Answer:
[SPAM] #871043
by intertainment22, 2017-05-24, 20:13  92.51.91...

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Polish-English online dictionary (Słownik polsko-angielski) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads