All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   PT   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   ES   IS   RU   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Słownik polsko-angielski

Online Dictionary Polish-English: Enter keyword here!
  ąĄćĆ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Polnisch
 Please anyone that is Polish help me translate ... »
« Tattoo    

Polish-English Translation of
Can you help me translate

« go back | show/hide answers | follow discussion
Term:
Can you help me translate these phrases for a novel I am writing?   
by Latila, 2018-06-30, 03:40  like dislike  Spam?  24.19.168....
Hello, I’m writing a novel set in ancient times. My main character is hunting a legendary beast called the “winter stag” or “stag of winter” in the area that I can vaguely describe as “Northern Poland” - basically this creature is on the very outskirts of a very cold region at the edge of the Baltic Sea. My character has theoretically picked up on a few words from the Polish language so she can communicate with the peoples residing here. What would be the proper Polish phrase for a “winter stag” or “stag of winter”? Also, what would be the phrase for “dream hunter” or “hunter of dreams”?

Thank you
Answer:
Novels  #893693
by Catesse (AU), 2018-07-09, 08:01  like dislike  Spam?  
I am sorry that I cannot help you with these terms. I am not even entirely sure what you mean in English. I would, however, warn you that it is a hazardous enterprise to write about an environment and period and culture about which you know very little. You risk making yourself look ridiculous to people who do know something of the setting.
Answer:
by Latila, 2018-07-09, 16:21  like dislike  Spam?  184.11.3...
Hi Catesse

To be clear, I am not writing a novel set in ancient Poland. I just needed a couple of terms translated for two quick scenes in which my character is in the wilderness in that area. I understand I know very little about ancient Polish culture or language, and I wouldn’t want to do anything to disrespect that culture. which is why I came onto this forum. To give more context about the scene I am writing, my character is just hunting in the woods for the entirety of the portion that she’s in Poland.

Thanks for trying,

Latila
Answer:
Best wishes  #893768
by Catesse (AU), 2018-07-10, 15:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Good luck with your project. I gav more thought to trying to help you with the translations, but my Polish is not good enough. It is likely that my efforts would end up sounding ridiculous.

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
Polish-English online dictionary (Słownik polsko-angielski) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement